The Symptoms You Get
When you launch MSN Messenger and try to logon, you get an error message 81000314. A wild guess, there is a problem with the MSN Server, it truly is unavailable.
- The Cause of Code 81000314
- Solutions to MSN Error Code 81000314
- Screenshot of MSN Messenger Error 81000314
The Microsoft MSN server is down, or otherwise unavailable. If it is indeed Microsoft’s MSN problem, then be careful not to make matters worse, for example don’t try mending something that does not need mending and thus breaking a perfectly good system.
Another possibility is that Softpub.dll may have become unregistered.
1) Wait for the MSN Server to return! Meanwhile check the status of the Messenger service, at: http://messenger.msn.com/Status.aspx
2) Delete ListCache.dat
Launch CMD and navigate to %appdata%\microsoft.
Dir /s ListCache.dat
Decide if you want to delete the cache.
Del /s ListCache.dat
Restart your MSN Messenger.
3) Register softpub.dll.
Click Start (Button), and then click Run, type regsvr32 softpub.dll. Restart MSN Messenger.
It would do no harm to also use regsvr32 to re-register: wintrust.dll, initpki.dll, Rsaenh.dll Mssip32.dll and Cryptdlg.dll. Here is the command string to register these dlls. Launch the ‘Run’ command and paste:
regsvr32 softpub.dll Wintrust.dll Initpki.dll Rsaenh.dll Mssip32.dll Cryptdlg.dll
4) Another problem could be firewall related, thus try temporarily disabling the firewall. If this cures the problem, make sure that MSN Messenger is allowed full access through the firewall. See how to disable Windows 8 firewalls with a Group Policy. .
5) If other people can access the MSN Messenger service, and you are the only one getting Error Code 81000314, then you could look at your anti-virus software. Has anything changed recently?
6) One more thought, could your account be locked out? Try another account if have one, or can create a new account.
Guy Recommends: The Free IP Address Tracker (IPAT)
Calculating IP Address ranges is a black art, which many network managers solve by creating custom Excel spreadsheets. IPAT cracks this problem of allocating IP addresses in networks in two ways:
For Mr Organized there is a nifty subnet calculator, you enter the network address and the subnet mask, then IPAT works out the usable addresses and their ranges. For Mr Lazy IPAT discovers and then displays the IP addresses of existing computers.
General, But Classic Troubleshooting Techniques
- Collect information: Write down exactly what the problem is. Something magical happens just by the act of writing down the symptoms.
- Ask: What was the last thing that altered on your computer. Especially with changes to anti-virus software Reverse it!
- Can you reproduce the problem: Occasionally trying again seems to make it work. Else you may get a different error from 81000314.
- Locate the source: Hardware (modem) Software, your end or MSN site.
- Phone a friend! Seriously do your MSN buddies have the same problem, if so it’s the site, if not – back to the drawing board.
Summary of MSN Error Code 81000314
If you are suffering from MSN Error Code 81000314, check that the server is available at Microsoft’s end. at: http://messenger.msn.com/Status.aspx. Beware of doing anything to make the problem worse, when it could be the servers fault. Incidentally, this error often alternates with Error Code 81000306
See More Microsoft Messenger Error Codes
If you like this page then please share it with your friends