The Symptoms You Get
When you launch MSN Messenger and try to logon, you get error message 80048820. A wild guess, your system time, or system date needs adjusting.
There are a variety of causes of this error:
1) Incorrect Proxy Setting for Internet Explorer.
2) softpub.dll may have become unregistered.
3) Your system clock may be showing an incorrect time – or date! (Wrong time is the most likely cause of 80048820).
4) Firewall problems. Particularly with Netgear.
Internet Explorer – Try removing the tick next to Internet Explorer ‘Proxy server’ settings, instead, go with the ‘Automatically detect settings’.
1) Launch Internet Explorer, click Tools and then click Internet Options.
2) Register softpub.dll.
Click Start (Button), and then click Run, type regsvr32 softpub.dll. Restart MSN Messenger. See also Error code 81000314
3) If necessary, logon as a local administrator and set the computer’s clock to the correct date and time. (Check on the internet if possible.)
4) Turn off the firewall temporarily. Check firewall settings such as Norton: "Block access to secure sites". If this cures the problem, make sure that Microsoft’s MSN Messenger is allowed full access through your firewall.
Here is an utility where you can review firewall settings such as access control lists (ACL), or troubleshoot problems with network address translation (NAT).
Other reasons to download this SolarWinds Firewall Browser include managing requests to change your firewall settings, and testing firewall rules before you go live.
Guy recommends that you download a copy of the SolarWinds free Firewall Browser.
NetGear problem, but also with some other routers
5) Try a password of no more than 8 characters.
6) If you are using IE 7.0 check the SSL Settings. Internet options advanced (Tab) scroll down to the bottom. Security section. Tick ‘Use ssl 2.0’.
7) One of the simplest ways of curing MSN error 80048820 is to unplug, or restart your modem. This is particularly effective for cable modems.
8) We should have tried this solution before; check that the MSN site is ‘up’ ‘available’. However, even if the site is down, you don’t usually get error code 80048820.
8a) As a variation, of checking online, you could try phoning your local Microsoft Support office. Local area numbers available from http://support.microsoft.com.
9) Have you just installed any anti-virus software? Did the anti-virus software just make a big update? Try disabling and see if that cures the error.
10) A drastic solution is to try uninstalling MSN Messenger version 8.0 or 7.5 and install Microsoft MSN version 7.0.
Guy Recommends: The Free IP Address Tracker (IPAT)
Calculating IP Address ranges is a black art, which many network managers solve by creating custom Excel spreadsheets. IPAT cracks this problem of allocating IP addresses in networks in two ways:
For Mr Organized there is a nifty subnet calculator, you enter the network address and the subnet mask, then IPAT works out the usable addresses and their ranges. For Mr Lazy IPAT discovers and then displays the IP addresses of existing computers.
General, But Classic Troubleshooting Techniques
Summary of MSN Error Code 80048820
If you are suffering from MSN Error Code 80048820, check your system clock. If both time and date are correct, try turning off your firewall.
If all else fails: have a laugh – Check out these funny computer messages
If you like this page then please share it with your friends