Exchange 2003 Mixed Mode
An organization running in mixed mode can accommodate all versions of Microsoft Exchange. By default, Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003 is installed in mixed mode.
Exchange 2003 running in mixed mode is subject to the following limitations:
- Exchange Server 5.0 and 5.5 sites are mapped directly to administrative groups.
- Administrative groups are mapped directly to Exchange Server 5.0 and 5.5 sites.
- Servers cannot be moved between administrative groups.
- Routing group membership consists only of servers that are installed in the administrative groups.
Import users from a spreadsheet, complete with their mailbox. Just provide a list of the users with the fields in the top row, and save as .csv file. Then launch this FREE utility, match your Exchange fields with AD’s attributes, click and import the users. Optionally, you can provide the name of the OU where the new mailboxes will be born.
- Bulk-import new users and mailboxes into Active Directory.
- Seek and zap unwanted user accounts.
- Find inactive computers.
How To Find the Mode of Your Exchange Organization
By default, Exchange 2003 server is installed in mixed mode. To determine which mode your Exchange organization is currently running in:
Start Exchange System Manager. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft Exchange, and then click System Manager.
- Right-click the organization that you want to determine the mode for, and then click Properties.
- Click the General tab. The operating mode of the organization is displayed Under Operations Mode.
How to Switch from Exchange Mixed Mode to Native Mode
Before you can change an organization from mixed mode to native mode, all of the computers in the organization must be running Exchange Exchange 2003. Remember that this change to native mode cannot be reversed.
After you upgrade or remove all versions of Exchange Server prior to Exchange 2000, you can switch your Exchange 2003 organization to native mode by using Exchange System Manager:
- Start Exchange System Manager. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft Exchange, and then click System Manager.
- Right-click the organization, and then click Properties.
- Click the General tab, and then click Change Mode under Change Operations Mode. Click Yes if you are sure that you want to permanently switch the organization’s mode to native mode.