The Symptoms You Get
When you launch Windows Live Messenger and try to logon, you get error message 80048820. A wild guess, your system time, or system date needs adjusting.
Possible Cause of MSN Error 80048820
There are a variety of causes of this error:
1) Your system clock may be showing an incorrect time – or date! (Wrong time is the most likely cause of 80048820).
2) Incorrect Proxy Setting for Internet Explorer.
3) Firewall problems. Particularly with Netgear.
4) softpub.dll may have become unregistered.
Internet Explorer – Try removing the tick next to Internet Explorer ‘Proxy server’ settings, instead, go with the ‘Automatically detect settings’.
1) Launch Internet Explorer, click Tools and then click Internet Options.
From the Internet Options dialog box, go to the Connections tab.
Click LAN Setting. Un check the Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections) checkbox. Finally positively tick: ‘Automatically detect settings’.
2) Register softpub.dll.
Click Start (Button), and then click Run, type regsvr32 softpub.dll. Restart MSN Messenger. See also Error code 81000314
3) If necessary, logon as a local administrator and set the computer’s clock to the correct date and time. (Check the time on the internet if possible.)
If you cannot find the clock, click ‘Start’ and type ‘Time and Date’ in the search box.
4) Turn off the firewall temporarily. Check firewall settings such as Norton: "Block access to secure sites". If this cures the problem, make sure that Microsoft's Live Messenger is allowed full access through your firewall. See how to disable Windows 8 firewalls with a Group Policy.
Here is an utility where you can review firewall settings such as access control lists (ACL), or troubleshoot problems with network address translation (NAT).
Other reasons to download this SolarWinds Firewall Browser include managing requests to change your firewall settings, and testing firewall rules before you go live.
Guy recommends that you download a copy of the SolarWinds free Firewall Browser.
NetGear problem, but also with some other routers
a) Enter IP address 192.168.0.1 in your browser’s address bar.
b) Log on with ISP user name and password.
c) Enter Admin, password
d) Navigate to advanced menu, WAN set-up
e) Change MTU size to 1400
5) Try a password of no more than 8 characters.
6) If you are using IE 8.0 check the SSL Settings. Internet options advanced (Tab) scroll down to the bottom. Security section. Tick ‘Use ssl 2.0’.
7) One of the simplest ways of curing MSN error 80048820 is to unplug, or restart your modem. This is particularly effective for cable modems.
8) We should have tried this solution before; check that the MSN site is ‘up’ ‘available’. However, even if the site is down, you don’t usually get error code 80048820.
8a) As a variation, of checking online, you could try phoning your local Microsoft Support office. Local area numbers available from http://support.microsoft.com.
9) Have you just installed any anti-virus software? Did the anti-virus software just make a big update? Try disabling and see if that cures the error.
10) A drastic solution is to try uninstalling Windows Live Messenger, then reinstalling the latest version.
This Engineer’s Toolset v10 provides a comprehensive console of 50 utilities for troubleshooting computer problems. Guy says it helps me monitor what’s occurring on the network, and each tool teaches me more about how the underlying system operates.
There are so many good gadgets; it’s like having free rein of a sweetshop. Thankfully the utilities are displayed logically: monitoring, network discovery, diagnostic, and Cisco tools. Try the SolarWinds Engineer’s Toolset now!
General, But Classic Troubleshooting Techniques
- Collect information: Write down exactly what the problem is. Something magical happens just by the act of writing down the symptoms.
- Ask: What was the last thing that altered on your computer. Especially with changes to anti-virus software Reverse it!
- Can you reproduce the problem: Occasionally trying again seems to make it work. Else you may get a different error from 80048820.
- Locate the source: Hardware (modem) Software, your end or MSN site.
- Phone a friend! Seriously do your MSN buddies have the same problem, if so it’s the site, if not – back to the drawing board.
- Try SolarWinds Web Help Desk
Summary of Windows Live Messenger Error Code 80048820
If you are suffering from MSN Error Code 80048820, check your system clock. If both time and date are correct, try turning off your firewall.
If all else fails: have a laugh – Check out these funny computer messages
See More Microsoft Messenger Error Codes
If you like this page then please share it with your friends