20 Tips for Exchange 2000
Here are 20 tops based on my experience with Exchange 2000 migration and troubleshooting.
Before you Install Exchange 2000
- Always buy Exchange 2000 Advanced Server (not the basic version with the 16 GB Store limit)
- Plead, threaten, exhort users to reduce Mailboxes size before migration
- Beg, steal or borrow machines for a Test Exchange 2000 network
- For bulk import of accounts try CSVDE or LDIFDE
- Check out the new Clustering technology
Before you deploy Exchange 2000, check these Features
- Check out Exchange 2003s Junk Mail filter
- Trial Instant Messaging
- Outlook Web Access will be big – Check out the new features of OWA in Exchange 2000
- To enable the Advanced Search in Outlook set up Index Server to Catalog the Private store
- Consider Video Conferencing, its an add-on, not a separate edition
Once you have Exchange 2000 up and running
- Check the System Policies within Exchange 2000 e.g. to set Mailbox limits
- Set a date to switch Exchange 2000 from Mixed mode to Native mode
- Put your database files (Priv*.edb .stm) on a separate disk from the transaction logs
- Check out the GLOBAL SETINGS with Exchange System Manager
- Get the latest service pack for Exchange 2000
Troubleshooting Exchange 2000
- To show the Security tab: Edit the Registry : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\ExAdmin\ShowSecurityPage dword=00000001
- Enable Protocol logging for Troubleshooting. Remember to turn off when finished!
- To stop NDRs from former employees – Create a Dead Letter account add SMTP addresses
- Install Winroute from the Exchange 2000 CD
- Check out ExMerge.exe (SUPPORT folder on CD)to remove virus infections from mailboxes
Download your Exchange 2000 Migration eBook for only $4.95
The extra features you get in your eBook include: ‘How to…’ sections with screen shots. New pages with detailed instructions and advice on how to plan your migration.
Lots of tips, recommendations and troubleshooting advice. Problem solving section. Active Directory explained. Printer friendly pages.