Examples of CSVDE Error Messages
The purpose of this page is to give you examples of CSVDE error messages. Problems can arise with the spreadsheet, or with syntax of the CSVDE command. As ever look at the very error message for a clue whether to start at Excel, CMD or Active Directory.
- Add error on line 2:
- Error Opening Import files
- Error Reading attribute list
- Not connect to the server (Null)
- No such attribute "The Parameter is incorrect"
- No such object "Directory object not found."
- "An attempt was made to add an object to the directory with a name that is already in use."
- Already Exists "The specified user already exists."
- Unwilling to Perform "Unable to update the password."
- "A referral was returned from the server."
- Invalid DN Syntax. "The object name has bad syntax."
- "The name provided is not a properly formed account name."
- "An attempt was made to modify an object to include an attribute that is not legal for its class."
- Search Failed
- Note if you do not see a solution to your problem try troubleshooting CSVDE here.
CSVDE -k switch
If the error persists or is not serious, try CSVDE -k. Here are the errors that it ignores: "Object already exists," "Constraint violation," and "Attribute or value already exists."
When you try a CSVDE import and you get "Add error on line 2:" the hidden meaning is that there maybe something wrong with every object that you are importing. Whereas, if you get an error on line 15 the nuance is that the first 14 lines were processed correctly, therefore there is something specifically wrong with line 15.
Have you typed the name correctly? For example, are you in the correct folder? Solution try the DIR command. Follow up by trying a different filename.
Probably a blank Column in your spreadsheet. Check Row one for missing LDAP values or no LDAP values. For example, Column F = sn, Column G= (blank), Column H= phone.
You are probably trying CSVDE from an XP machine. The solution is to add -s servername.
The Parameter is incorrect – In my experience, this caused by an error in the DN or possibly sAMAccountName.
Check Active Directory Users and Computers. In particular, check the DN attribute, make sure that the OU exists. For example, CN=Jon Morris,OU=Cowbridge,dc=cp,dc=com. Is there really a Cowbridge OU?
I got this error when I made a mistake with CN=Users. So, if you create objects in the default container it’s CN=USERS not OU=USERS.
Import users from a spreadsheet. Just provide a list of the users with their fields in the top row, and save as .csv file. Then launch this FREE utility and match your fields with AD’s attributes, click and import the users.
Optionally, you can provide the name of the OU where the new accounts will be born. Download your FREE bulk import tool.
If you need more comprehensive software, download a free trial of SAM (Server & Application Monitor)
Check Active Directory Users and Computers, if necessary try running Find against the CN= Guy Thomas, or the sAMAccountName cn = guyt. What has happened is that you are running the script for the second time and the users already exist. For example, the cn must be unique to the OU.
The DN must be unique. Also the RDN must be unique in the OU. For example, you cannot have two Guy Thomas accounts in the Newport OU. However, you could have a Guy Thomas in Newport and another Guy Thomas in the Cowbridge OU.
The server side error is "Unable to update the password." The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirement of the domain." Solution change userAccountControl to be = 514.
If this change does not cure the problem, then launch Active Directory Users and Computers, and adjust the Default Domain Group Policy, Password Policy and disable Password Complexity and set minimum password length to zero.
A referral was returned from the server. In this example check the spelling of your dc=xyz, dc=com. When you run CSVDE -i, the syntax of DN in the spreadsheet was wrong. See if the DN column needs an extra dc= element. For example,
I like thePermissions Analyzer because it enables me to see WHO has permissions to do WHAT at a glance. When you launch this tool it analyzes a users effective NTFS permissions for a specific file or folder, and takes into account network share access, then displays the results in a nifty desktop dashboard!
Think of all the frustration that this free SolarWinds utility saves when you are troubleshooting authorization problems for user’s access to a resource. Give this permissions monitor a try – it’s free!
For me, this error was caused by a CSVDE import with an incorrect sAMAccountName. Instead of plain guyt, the spreadsheet had an extra cn, for example: cn=guyt.
Note if you do not see a solution to your problem try troubleshooting CSVDE here.
There is a clue in the CSVDE error message, observer the phrase ‘DN syntax’. When I ran CSVDE there was a mistake in the DN column. I had foolishly added an extra comma at the beginning. For example:
,cn=Jamie Dun,OU=Newport,DC=cp,dc=com. Instead of plain
Your trying to add an LDAP property with a CSVDE import, however the property itself unsuitable. For example the user object does not have a location attribute. (Whereas a printer does have the location attribute). So if you try and add LDAP properties that do not exist are not supported, this is the error message that you get.
I once had this error when I omitted a bracket in a -r filter.
When you troubleshoot CSVDE, pay close attention to the precise error message. Once you have the error text then search my site for examples.
If you like this page then please share it with your friends