The Symptoms You Get
You get an error message 81000306 when you launch MSN Messenger and try to logon. Most likely it’s not your fault, there is a problem with the MSN Server. Sometimes this error message alternates with error code 81000314.
The Windows Live server is down, or not unavailable. If it is Microsoft’s problem, do be careful not to make matters worse, for example don’t try fixing something that does not need mending, and as a result breaking a perfectly good system.
If the server is running, a possibility is that Softpub.dll may have become unregistered.
Solutions to Windows live Error Code 81000306
1) Wait for MSN to repair their Server! Meanwhile check the status of the Messenger service, at: http://messenger.msn.com/Status.aspx
2) Delete ListCache.dat
Launch CMD and navigate to %appdata%\microsoft.
Dir /s ListCache.dat
Decide if you want to delete the cache.
Del /s ListCache.dat
Restart your Windows Live.
3) Register softpub.dll.
Click Start (Button), and then click Run, type regsvr32 softpub.dll. Restart MSN Messenger.
It would do no harm to also use regsvr32 to re-register: wintrust.dll, initpki.dll, Rsaenh.dll Mssip32.dll and Cryptdlg.dll. Here is the command string to register these dlls. Launch the ‘Run’ command and paste:
regsvr32 softpub.dll Wintrust.dll Initpki.dll Rsaenh.dll Mssip32.dll Cryptdlg.dll
4) Another problem could be firewall related, thus try temporarily disabling the firewall. If this cures the problem, make sure that Windows Live is allowed full access through the firewall.
Your problem could also be related to Error Code 80048820
5) If other people can access the Windows Live service, and you are the only one getting Error Code 81000306, then you could look at your anti-virus software. Has anything changed recently?
6) One more thought, could your account be locked out? Try another account if have one, or can create a new account.
Guy Recommends: The Free IP Address Tracker (IPAT)
Calculating IP Address ranges is a black art, which many network managers solve by creating custom Excel spreadsheets. IPAT cracks this problem of allocating IP addresses in networks in two ways:
For Mr Organized there is a nifty subnet calculator, you enter the network address and the subnet mask, then IPAT works out the usable addresses and their ranges. For Mr Lazy IPAT discovers and then displays the IP addresses of existing computers.
General, But Classic Troubleshooting Techniques
- Collect information: Write down exactly what the problem is. Something magical happens just by the act of writing down the symptoms.
- Ask: What was the last thing that altered on your computer. Especially with changes to anti-virus software Reverse it!
- Can you reproduce the problem: Occasionally trying again seems to make it work. Else you may get a different error from 81000306.
- Locate the source: Hardware (modem) Software, your end or MSN site.
- Phone a friend! Seriously do your MSN buddies have the same problem, if so it’s the site, if not – back to the drawing board.
Summary of Windows Live 81000306 Error Code
If you are suffering from Windows Live Error Code 81000306, check that the server is available at Microsoft’s end. at: http://messenger.msn.com/Status.aspx. Beware of doing anything to make the problem worse, when it could be the servers fault.
See More Microsoft Messenger Error Codes
If you like this page then please share it with your friends